Your Home And Mold
– The winter and spring can often be typified by being cold and damp which can lead to mold growth due to indoor moisture and higher humidity levels. Not only can mold be bad for your home, but it can also be bad for your health. A variety of different types of molds can be found both indoors and outdoors and typically thrive in warm and moist environments. A musty odor is usual with the presence of mold, but not always.
Most of us may not even give a second thought to the growth of mold as we see it in the grout lines in the shower or as spots on the siding. The fact is that almost every home has some type of mold infestation, whether completely minor to major.
The bad news is that mold can grow on just about any surface in your home. Not only walls and flooring, but also on fabric, wood and paper. The different types of mold can also have a variety of appearances varying from looking like a stain or discoloration of a funky color such as black, green, blue or white. Unfortunately, mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and can make their way into the home through attaching to an object or person or entering through the air. Mold spores can easily come into contact with the home through ventilation systems and open doors or windows. If a leak or flooding has occurred, the area is even at a higher susceptibility to the growth of mold.
Mold and Your Health
Some people are more sensitive to mold than others and those affected by mold may exhibit allergy symptoms. Common allergy symptoms associated with a mold allergy include sneezing, a runny nose, watery eyes and itchiness. Asthma can also be triggered when contact is made with mold. Some fatal complications can also be experienced with weakened respiratory and immune systems that have been weakened by a chronic condition. Some types of mold can be highly toxic. For this reason, it is important to know what you are dealing with. Mold can be extremely hazardous to your health. If you feel allergic reactions when you are at home, but not when you go out in public, then it may be a sure sign that you have mold in your home.
Finding and Addressing Mold
If mold growth is found in the home, then it should be addressed in a timely manner. If a water leak takes place in the home, then it is suggested that the area should be dried within 48 hours in order to inhibit the growth of mold from the presence of excess moisture. Humidity in the home also plays a factor in mold growth. If your windows gather condensation, then that is a sign of high humidity that increases the growth of mold. The best thing that you can do is to utilize an extractor fan or increase the ventilation in the room in order to reduce the humidity and possibility of mold growth. Moisture in the home is also a contributing factor to mold growth. If you witness any cracking, bubbling, or peeling of wallpaper or paint, then moisture may be a problem.
You should address any signs of mold as soon as you see them as it can grow quickly and become out of hand. If you are cleaning mold from a hard surface, you can use soap and water or any commercial product or bleach. Any areas of mold that are any larger than 3 feet by 3 feet should be referred to a professional mold remediation expert as it can be dangerous for your health to treat the infested area yourself. If you are an allergy sufferer, then you should immediately turn to a professional for assistance. You can contact your local public health department, look for a pro in the yellow pages or on-line service directories.
Sell Your Homewe buy houses, Your Home And Mold